Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The beggar with a choice.....


Hello All!!!
Grace and Peace be unto you in the name of Jesus.
On my way into work today something happened that really got my marbles rolling.
On the corner of Broadway in NY city, the sight of the hungry and the homeless is far from surprising however today it alarmed me in a strange way when I looked at this Caucasian male (roughly around the age of 38) going through the trash can and eating the food out of it so deliciously.
My stomach churned and I cried out in my spirit JESUS!!! I quickly whipped out my wallet searching for the $10 bill I knew I had and handed it over to him...
Much to my surprise he refused it!!! so I keep on walking and then he got me thinking... "A beggar with a choice" I wondered why wouldn't he take it, he was a mess, eating from the trash can, he was in need.. "didn't he know??" so I decided to name him "Poor Johnny" and then in my spirit that's how I started to get convicted. I heard a voice say to me "That's exactly how you are when it comes to the lord" feeding of trash when he has offered you grace.. he has everything you need and gives it with love yet you reject him like a beggar with a choice"
At this point, I was like oh no not now I going to work I only tried to do something good by feeding the poor, its not about me... its him, he knew he needed help and yet he wouldn't take it and it angered me!!!
I can only imagine how the Lord feels when we know we need help yet we reject the ONE who can give us the help.. Just like Poor Johnny we are blind!!!

Lord forgive me, for I know not what I do.
I know not how I reject you so please show me how to receive your love, grace and mercy!
Lord I thank you for opening up my eyes to see all that you have done and are doing in my life. give me a grateful heart.
Lord I pray for Poor Johnny.. I thank you for placing him there at the right time.. I thank you for using him to show me who I am. Father please bless him and turn his situation around.. For your glory!! Amen.

So, I was inspired to research on the hungry and the homeless all over the world and it was alarming what I found.. Here are some headlines I stumbled across that makes you want to stay on your knees and pray for this evil world(for goodness sake what do these people have left):

Three Men Set Homeless Man On Fire (Nashville, TN, Jan.)

Homeless Man Beaten and Robbed by Six Youths (Sarasota, FL, Jan.)

Homeless Man Attacked as He Slept (Los Angeles, CA, Feb.)

Three Men Attack Homeless Woman with Baseball Bats (Minneapolis, MN, May)

Homeless People Hit in Drive-By Shootings (Austin, TX, June)

Homeless People Used, Abused by Insurance Fraud Ringleaders (Chicago, IL, June)

Group of Teenage Males Shoot Homeless Man with Paintball Gun. He Loses Eye (Ewing, NJ, July)

Four Teenagers Beat and Stole from Four Homeless Men in Videotaped Attacks (Chicago, IL, Aug.)

Four Teenagers Reportedly Attack at Least Seven Homeless People with Stun Guns (Cleveland, OH, Aug.)

Homeless Man Beaten by Police Officers (Fort Lauderdale, FL, Aug.)

Violent Attack Spurs March (Portland, ME, December)


Homeless Man Was Shot Repeatedly with a Pellet Gun (San Francisco, CA, Dec.)


Be kind to the poor.. give generously because you are helping God when you do so.

No comments: